Are you sick of being embarrassed about the extra fullness under your chin? Do you avoid certain camera angles or hide behind scarves and high-necked clothing? If so, you’re not alone. Many individuals struggle with this issue and the impact it can have on their self-esteem. Luckily, there’s a solution called KYBELLA.
Whether you’ve tried dieting and exercise or have been considering more invasive options like liposuction, KYBELLA offers a convenient alternative that requires no surgery, minimal downtime, and impressive results. But there are several deliberations you should know first before attempting this treatment.
What is KYBELLA, And How It Works?
.KYBELLA is an FDA-approved injectable treatment specifically designed to address submental fullness, also known as a double chin. It is a non-surgical procedure that offers an effective solution for individuals seeking to reduce the appearance of excess fat beneath the chin.
Unlike surgical alternatives, KYBELLA is administered through injections, targeting the fat cells directly. Deoxycholic acid, an organic compound that aids in the disintegration and absorption of dietary fat, is a critical component of KYBELLA. Deoxycholic acid, when injected into the submental region, eliminates fat cells, creating a more defined and sculpted jawline.
KYBELLA offers several advantages over traditional surgical procedures, including minimal downtime and a non-invasive approach. It provides a convenient option for individuals looking to improve their chin profile without surgery.
How It Works?
The main component of KYBELLA, deoxycholic acid, makes it so efficient at reducing submental fullness. Deoxycholic acid, a bile acid that occurs naturally, is essential for the body’s breakdown and absorption of dietary fats.
When injected into the submental area, deoxycholic acid disrupts the integrity of fat cell membranes. It targets and destroys the fat cells in the treated area, allowing the body to metabolize and eliminate them over time.
The mechanism of action of deoxycholic acid involves its interaction with the fat cells. It acts as a detergent-like substance, binding to the fat cell membranes and causing disruption. This disruption leads to the breakdown of the fat cell structure and releases the stored fat contents.
Once the fat cells are destroyed, the body’s natural processes take over. The lymphatic system, which eradicates waste and toxins from the body, clears away the remnants of the destroyed fat cells. Over several weeks and months, the body naturally metabolizes and eliminates these fat cell remnants, gradually reducing submental fullness and the appearance of a more sculpted jawline.
The KYBELLA procedure is a straightforward and relatively simple process that involves a series of injections to target and reduce submental fullness. What to anticipate during a KYBELLA therapy session is broken down as follows:
- Consultation: Your journey with KYBELLA begins with a consultation with a qualified healthcare professional. You will discuss your aesthetic goals, medical history, and concerns during this consultation. The healthcare professional will assess your suitability for the treatment and develop a personalized treatment plan based on your unique needs.
- Preparing for the Treatment: Before the procedure, the treatment area will be cleansed, and, if necessary, a topical anesthetic may be spread to minimize discomfort. Your healthcare professional will ensure you are comfortable and ready for the treatment.
- Injection Process: Using a fine-gauge needle, your healthcare professional will administer a series of small injections of KYBELLA into targeted areas beneath your chin. The quantity of injections and the amount of KYBELLA used will depend on your treatment plan. The injections are strategically placed to distribute the deoxycholic acid evenly and target the excess fat cells.
- Treatment Duration: The injection process typically takes 15-20 minutes. KYBELLA sessions are generally well-tolerated, and most individuals experience minimal discomfort during the procedure.
- Post-Treatment Care: Once the injections are complete, your healthcare professional may apply a cold compress or provide specific post-treatment instructions. It’s essential to follow these instructions diligently to optimize your recovery and results.
- Recovery and Results: After the KYBELLA treatment, it is common to experience mild swelling, bruising, or redness in the treated area. These adverse effects are usually brief and resolve within a few days to a week. You can typically resume your regular activities immediately following the treatment, as there is minimal downtime associated with KYBELLA.
KYBELLA treatment typically involves sessions spaced several weeks apart to achieve optimal results. The exact number of treatments required varies based on individual characteristics, such as the amount of submental fullness and your desired outcome.
Not A Weight Loss Treatment
KYBELLA is not intended as a weight loss treatment. KYBELLA is specifically designed to target and reduce submental fullness caused by excess fat beneath the chin. It is not a solution for weight loss or addressing fat in other body areas.
A healthcare provider will evaluate your situation, discuss your goals, and decide whether KYBELLA is the best course of therapy during your appointment. When determining whether you are a good candidate for KYBELLA, they will consider things like the degree of submental fullness, the health of your skin, and your general health.
Have realistic expectations when considering KYBELLA. While the treatment can effectively reduce submental fullness and improve the appearance of the chin and jawline, individual results may vary. It is always advisable to have an open and honest discussion with your healthcare professional to ensure you fully understand the limitations and potential outcomes of the treatment.
KYBELLA has received FDA approval after rigorous clinical testing, ensuring its safety and efficacy in treating submental fullness. It is essential to have KYBELLA administered by a qualified healthcare professional to minimize risks. Common side effects include temporary swelling, bruising, and discomfort.
Rare complications can occur but are typically associated with inexperienced practitioners. A thorough consultation and open communication with your healthcare professional are essential for assessing candidacy and ensuring safety. Following pre and post-treatment instructions is crucial for a safer treatment experience.
If you’re ready to say goodbye to submental fullness and achieve a more defined and contoured chin profile, it’s time to take the next step. Contact Shepherd Integrative Dermatology today and schedule your KYBELLA consultation with our experienced providers of healthcare professionals.